The former Denmark Infant Health Clinic, corner of Strickland and Mitchell Streets, is to be demolished in a few weeks.
It was built on Denmark’s first school site in 1956 and is the only historical “brick and tile” building in the CDB.
After the clinic was closed in the eighties, it later became home to the Denmark Toy Library, Telecentre and finally Denmark Arts Council.
The Denmark Historical Society will hold a Day of History to share memories and photos with others and celebrate the rich and valuable history of the mothers and babies who visited the clinic and the nurses, doctors and volunteers who kept it running.
Residents who hold memories and/or photo’s of that time are invited to a free morning tea at the building at 10.30am on Monday 19th September (before the building disappears).
After the Day of History, the project will transform the Infant Health Centre into a video recording studio for the rest of the week, to capture stories of the building prior to demolition. Please phone Josephine 0438 045 853 if you have a story to share.
The Denmark Historical Society with the assistance of the Shire’s Cultural Development Fund will collect the stories to celebrate the role of the clinic in the community of Denmark through video production and story-telling.
The video production will include recording, interviewing, editing and post production, in which historic photographs will also be included. The ‘Day of History’ video project will be available later on line for use by schools, researchers, tourists and the general public.